My latest images for sale at Shutterstock:

My most popular images for sale at Shutterstock:

Monday, July 7, 2008

Fantasy Microstock

Thus far, I've submitted photographs which are realistic representations of what I have seen. But the other day I decided to play around with the wonderful toolset in Photoshop CS2, and created a set of "fantasy microstock" pictures. I figured that buyers would like these if they had enough visual impact. I was right. The following was downloaded from my Shutterstock portfolio shortly after having been approved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess traditionally that would have been called a montage photo (even if it's just a composition of one image) this type of 'photoshopping' is quite common in stock photography (and was common before digital photography when it took hours to do in a dark room or with prisms and lens attachments)

Many of the top microstock photos have had this type of work done (all those jumping gold fish etc)

I wouldn't call it fantasy, but I think that if it's not obvious that the image is a composition then it's ethical to mention it in the description just in case someone uses it for editorial and doesn't realise that the actual place does not really look like that.

Mastering Microstock said...

Microstockinsider,

Thanks for your comment! I didn't label that photo as being from any specific city or building. I don't think buyers would be using it for an editorial, unless they recognized the building from somewhere, which isn't possible since it was "constructed."