My latest images for sale at Shutterstock:

My most popular images for sale at Shutterstock:

Friday, July 11, 2008

"Pentax Gear Up" Rebate

Although I only shoot Canon DSLRs and don't expect to change systems any time in the near future (sure Nikon's D700 looks nice, but I'm already too deeply invested in Canon lenses to switch), I've always been a big, big fan Pentax DSLRs.

Many of my friends and relatives come to me asking for advice on upgrading from a digicam to a DSLR, and I usually point them in the direction of Pentax. I helped my cousin buy a K100D + 18-55mm kit lens for $350 and my aunt a K10D + 18-55mm kit lens for $600 last year, both after rebate. Both cameras produced beautiful JPG images right out of the camera which had different "feel" thank Canon or Nikon images. If I had the cams on hand, I'd post a review here. Maybe next time.

Last year's low prices were a boon to Pentaxians but the company essentially shot itself in the foot for going so low. This year's prices for the K200D ($689 at Beach Camera) and K20D (1,289.31 at Amazon.com) are significantly higher.

However, Pentax has a rebate lasting until July 26 for $100 off either the K20D or K200D bodies. If you already have a Pentax lens, go for body only and save some money. The kit lens is marvelously constructed though, and a steal for the premium you pay over the body-only kit. Click here for the rebate.

The awesome thing about both DSLRs is the in-body IS. Any lense you slap on the body becomes image stabilized, which has been good up to 1/15 from my experience with both the K100D and K10D. I actually own Super Takumar 135mm and 200mm lenses, and would love to have a Pentax DSLR to mate them to.



No comments: